FOUNDATION Course Outline

FOUNDATION Course Equipment List

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Pop Quiz! Self Control!

 Yay. She did awesome on today’s pop quiz. I’m so proud of her. 

Quick question not related to the quiz. The last couple of days during training she is putting her head down smelling a lot. It seems like she is sniffing around so much she is not paying that good of attention to my feet movements. Is this something I should do a slight collar correct to lift her head? I’m just not sure what to do. 

Also, we did approach by a stranger today at pet store. She didn’t move her feet but she did crouch down not wanting to be touched. I moved in gave her a correction and made her stand back up. I had the lady approach her about 5 times but she continued to do the same thing. I think I’m doing something wrong where she is not understanding that I want her to sit up and not crouch. I didn’t want to keep practicing wrong so I thought I would get feedback before trying again. 


8 comments:

  1. Pop Quiz complete

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the Sit or Stand Stay, when a dog drops its head below there shoulders, they are thinking about breaking. Correct for that head drop.

    Great job on the Week 5 POP Quiz!

    The Week 5 EXAM #2: The infamous 'String Test' is uploaded and under the 'Instructor EXAMs ' section

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh. I see that right at the beginning. Good catch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a really telltale sign that a dog is considering breaking. So on the Sit/Stay, no sniffing or lowering the head below the shoulders. On the Stand/Stay, no lowering the head below the shoulders.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is sniffing when we are leash walking doing our right turn, left turn etc. I just feel like she gets so busy sniffing she doesn’t pay attention to my feet. Is this something I should try to correct.
    On the approach by stranger I have thought about it all day. I realized when she didn’t do it correct the first or second time I needed to go back to standing beside her to make her successful, then when she did that fine I should have stood close in front of her until she was fine with that then gradually step farther away. I know I’m just learning but I’m so frustrated I didn’t make that connection right at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sniffing when on the leash? Pick up your pace and make sharp, fast turns, immediate Halts. The point is to require her to focus on YOU with obedience work, instead of getting distracted with smells. She's ignoring you, shift yourself with either Pace changes or the turns to require her to pay attention to you. When we get to Week 7, there is another correction for sniffing, but not yet.

    Trina, you are doing a PHENOMENAL job educating yourself, applying yourself, and being extremely thorough in learning this KMODT. As we go farther into the training, you begin to 'think KMODT', but that doesn't usually occur until later. Breathe and know we are thrilled with what we see happening with you and Zoey.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a genius! After reading your response I hooked her up and gave it a shot. Wow what a difference. I still took small steps but went faster. She wasn’t hardly taking her eyes off of me. I am feeling more confident for the next exam after what I saw tonight. Thank you so much. I apologize for being so needy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trina, LOL, Jessi and I thoroughly enjoy your excellent questions.

    ReplyDelete