FOUNDATION Course Outline

FOUNDATION Course Equipment List

Friday, February 2, 2024

Help!


 The past two days have been a huge struggle. Zoey is being so obstinate. When we do our walk  training she is pulling, and going ahead so much. I did so many collar corrects today and it didn’t seem to make a difference. I read that if she forges ahead to turn right which I have been continually doing and have not seen any improvement . What am I doing wrong?  I am so frustrated right now feeling that we are going backwards. On top of that knowing we have the exam tomorrow is making me very nervous. At this point I don’t see any way she will pass. Please, please, please help me know what I need to do. 

4 comments:

  1. I need help knowing what I am doing wrong. The last two days we have went backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoey is unsure of your feet. Slow WAY down and do a series of Left Training Turns with the 'sweep', not Right Turns. Right Turns are for when the dog is wide of you or lagging. In reality, it doesn't matter which turn you use, as long as the turn you use works to help the dog understand that Heel position is the best place to choose to be.
    Does that make sense? And please relax and breathe as your inner stress simply makes Zoey skittish. Whether you pass the EXAM this week or next week doesn't matter to us, so let go of that mental pressure. Breathe, shake off your stress, and start anew.

    Ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree as soon as she starts to forge make a left turn. Don’t worry you’ll both succeed. Was your husband videoing ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Darren was filming. I also worked with her in that new area yesterday and today. There were some dogs nearby, is it just maybe too high of a distraction right now? I will slow down and see if that helps. You are right, I get so upset when she isn’t doing what I need her to I’m sure she senses my frustration. Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete